If you’ve been looking to start a real blog (just like the one you’re reading) of your own, then this is the perfect post for you.
In this guide, I’ll show you how to set up a self-hosted blog on WordPress (which is the most popular content management system on the planet) and get the following:
- A free domain name registration for life worth over $15 per month.
- A sizzling new WordPress blog.
- A special 25% discount coupon code on any web hosting account of your choice.
… without any knowledge of coding or website designing.
So, if you’ve been wondering how to install WordPress on Whogohost or how to host your blog on Whogohost or how to use WordPress on Whogohost… this is the perfect post for you.
And the best part?
You’ll have your sizzling new WordPress blog online in less than 30 minutes with as low as N4,000.
Yes, that’s not a typo!
This is the exact tutorial hundreds of other beginners have used to set up their online platform to make money online without writing any line of code.
So, even if this is your first attempt at setting up a blog or you’re a total newbie, you can easily do this without paying any website designer a dime.
Also, if you’ve been searching for ways to start a website or blog of your own without spending too much money, I wrote this post specifically for you. Use it wisely and thank me later!
Let’s get started.
First, here are the resources you need to set up your self-hosted blog:
1. You need a domain name
This will be the web address of your blog; I recommend you read this post to really understand how to choose a good domain for your blog. This will cost you anything from $15 but don’t worry, I’ll show you how to get your domain registration for free legally! (Read on)
2. A web hosting account
This is needed to host your files on the internet; without this your blog will be non-functional. I’ll walk you through the process of buying one with your Naira Mastercard.
In this tutorial, I’ll be using Whogohost to set up your blog as it’s one the best web hosting companies in Nigeria at the moment and very affordable.
Here are other benefits of using the service of Whogohost:
- Efficiency: You website will always will be online because their server has an efficient uptime compared to other hosts.
- Speed: Whogohost makes your website or blog load so fast and this helps to boost your search engines rankings and reduce the page load of your website.
- Good customer care service: Whogohost offers a live chat system where you can have a live-chat with one of their staffs when you have any problems or face technical issues with your website. This means you’ll always have answers to your questions within minutes.
- Affordability: Despite all the great value it provides, Whogohost is one of the most affordable hosting providers you can find around in Nigeria. Their web hosting charges starts from N400 per month. That’s quite cheap compared to the amazing values, features and benefits you’ll enjoy. Frankly, most Nigerian web host don’t come this cheap.
- 30 days money back guarantee: Because of the quality of services they offer, they offer a 30 days money back guarantee. This shows that they are confident of their services – so, if within 30 days you discover their services don’t meet your demand, you can ask for a refund. You got nothing to lose!
- Free domain name: Other web hosts register a domain name for about $15 but Whogohost gives you for FREE for life as far as you keep your hosting account with them. Can you beat that?
So, when you’ve decided the domain name you intend to register. Just follow the following steps to set up your blog:
Important Note:“Please make sure you’re using a PC. You can’t do this on your mobile phone as it creates problems during sign up”
Step 1: Go to Whogohost Official Website (this link gives you a 25% discount) to Buy a Webhosting Account and Get a Free Domain Name Registration
- Visit Whogohost official site (the link opens on a new tab so you won’t lose this tutorial and gives you a 25% discount)
- Click on “Hosting” and then choose “Shared Hosting” from the drop down.
Whogohost has five different hosting plan you can choose from:
1. Aspire (2GB): This web hosting plan is meant for sites with very low traffic and includes: 2GB Webspace, 10GB Bandwidth a free .NG domain name registration, 4 Subdomains, 1 Hosted Addon Domain, I Parked domain,Unlimited Emails and PHP, CGI enabled. This plan costs N400 per month or N4,000 annually.
Please Note: The free domain name registration offer is only for .com.ng, .org.ng and name.ng domain names.
2. Premium (6GB): This web hosting plan is ideal for sites with low traffic and includes: 6GB Webspace, 30GB Bandwidth, a free .NG domain name, 10 Subdomains, 2 Hosted Addon Domain, 2 Parked domains, Unlimited Emails, Unlimited SQL databases and PHP, CGI enabled. This plan costs N600 per month or N6,000 annually.
3. Pro (12GB): This web hosting plan is suitable for sites with moderate amount of traffic. This is the plan I recommend you choose when you’re starting out. It includes: 12GB Webspace, 45GB Bandwidth, 15 Subdomains, 3 Hosted Addon Domain, 3 Parked domainUnlimited emails, unlimited SQL Databases and PHP, CGI enabled. This plan costs N850 per month or N8,500 annually.
4. Pro Plus (25GB): This web hosting plan is ideal for well established sites with high amount of traffic and includes: 25GB Webspace, 80GB Bandwidth, 20 Subdomains, 5 Hosted Addon Domain, 5 Parked domain, Unlimited emails, unlimited SQL databases and PHP, CGI enabled. This plan costs N1,350 per month or N13,500 annually.
5.Giant (35GB): This web hosting plan is ideal for very high traffic sites and includes: 35GB Web space, 120GB Bandwidth, 40 Subdomains, 10 Hosted Addon Domain, 10 Parked domain unlimited emails, unlimited SQL databases and PHP, CGI enabled. This plan costs N2,150 per month or N21,500 annually.
- Just click on “Order Now” under the hosting plan of your choice.
- On the next page, enter the domain name of your choice (For example healthbox.com.ng) and click on “Check”. If it’s available, it’ll be displayed and if it has already been registered, choose another one. Just scroll down and click on “Continue” when you’re done.
On the next page, a summary of your web hosting plan and charge will be displayed (see image below)
- Just click on “Continue”.
On the next page, the summary of your overall order and amount you’ll be charged will be displayed.
- On the next page, the 25% discount coupon code will be automatically applied on your charge. (Just like you can see in the image below)
- Click on “Check out”
When the next page loads, fill in your personal information, billing address, account security and other details. When filling your details, note the following important points:
- Choose a phone number that you’re currently using, you’ll need to do some verification.
- Choose an email address that you frequently check and have access to. This is where your hosting login details will be sent to.
- Choose a very strong password for your hosting account. (The password strength bar should show green and say: Strong!)
- You can choose any preferred payment of your choice: Bank Payment Details, Paypal, Quickteller and CashEnvoy. If you have a MasterCard, I recommend you choose Quickteller so you can make payment with ease without going through the hectic process of going to the bank to pay.
- When you’ve finished filling the details using the guidelines from the image above; click on “Complete Order”.
- If you chose Quickteller (which is what I recommend) as your payment option, the next page will look like this:
- Just click on the button: “Pay with Quickteller”.
- You’ll be taken to secure page where you can enter your credit card details like the image below:
- On the page, choose “MasterCard Naira Card” from the drop down
- Then enter your card number. This is the 16 digit numbers displayed on the front of your card.
- Enter the expiry date of your card and CVV2 code. Your CVV2 is the 3 digit number displayed at the back of your card.
- Enter your Card pin and click on Pay.
A security code will be sent to your phone number from your bank. Enter the code on the next page and click on “Continue”.
Within few minutes, the payment process will be complete and your invoice would show your order has been paid for (see image below)
“If you encounter any problem here, just give me a call on +2348039185233 or leave a comment on this post and I will be more then willing to help you out.”
Please Note: Whogohost will send you an email containing your hosting details and your username and password. You’ll need this when logging into your control panel, so keep it safe.
Step 2: Install WordPress on Your Domain
The next step is to install the WordPress content management system on your domain. This will enable you write on your blog. Let’s get started:
- Visit yourdomain/cpanel. (Replace “yourdomain with the domain name you registered)
- Enter your username and password which was sent to you by Whogohost.
You’ll be directed to your control panel where you can install the WordPress content management system.
- Scroll down and locate the “Softaculous Apps Installer” and click on WordPress.
- On the next page, click on “Install” and wait for few minutes for installation process to start.
- When it completes, you’ll taken to a page that looks like this image below:
Here’s how I recommend you fill the details in the specific field:
- The protocol box should be http://
- The domain box should be your domain name.
- The directory box should be left empty.
- Fill your site name and site description.
- Uncheck “Enable Multiple (WPMU).
- Fill your Admin Username and Admin Password. This will be the details you’ll need to enter to log in to your WordPress Admin dashboard to write blog posts and make other necessary changes to your blog, so keep it safe. When choosing your Admin Email make sure it’s an email address you check frequently.
- Check the Limit Login Attempt (Loginizer) box. This helps to protect your site against brute force attacks by limiting the number of login attempts for your WordPress installation. If selected Loginizer plugin will be installed and activated with your installation.
Important Note: Do not choose “admin” or your domain name as your admin username because this is what hackers first try out when they intend to use brute-force to log into your website. Also, make sure your Admin Password is very strong.
- Click on it and fill the details as follows:
- Check the Update Notification box. This will ensure you receive email notifications whenever there is an update for the installation.
- Check the Auto Upgrade. This will ensure that this installation will be automatically upgraded to the latest version when a new one is available.
- Check Auto Update Plugins. This will ensure all the active WordPress plugins installed for this installation will automatically upgraded to the latest version when they are available.
- Check Auto Upgrade wordpress themes. This will ensure all the active wordpress themes for this installation will be automatically upgraded to the latest version when they are available.
- Check Automated Backups. This will ensure Softaculous will take automated back ups via CRON as per frequency you select.
- Choose 4 for Backup Rotation. If the backup rotation limit is reached, Softaculous will delete the oldest backup. The back ups will utilize your space so choose the backup rotation as per the space available on your server.
- Then choose any theme of your choice and finally click on “Install”.
- When the installation process complete, the next page should look like this:
If you’ve finally reached this stage, Congratulations! You’ve just installed WordPress on your domain name.
Your administrative url is where you visit to make changes to your blog and add content.
Step 3: Login to Your Brand-New WordPress Site and Publish Your First Post
It could be scary at first but the post doesn’t have to be perfect; it just has to be published. So, go ahead and share your thoughts to the whole world. It doesn’t have to be perfect!
- Go to http://www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin (Replace “yourdomain” with your domain name).
- Login with the username and password you chose when you installed WordPress in step 2 above.
- The next page displays the dashboard, which is the “back-end” (only you can access this) of your website from where you set everything that appears on the “front-end.” (what visitors see)
- On the left side of your dashboard screen are menus. Position the mouse on “Posts” and click “Add New” from the sub-menus that will pop out.
- On the next page, enter the title of your post in the first tab and paste the content of your post in the second tab. Click “Publish”.
- On the next page, click “View post” to see the post you just published on the front-end of your website or self-hosted blog as it will appear to your visitor.
If you’ve successfully reached this stage, congratulations! You can now start spreading your thoughts and website links to your friends, family and to the whole world in less than 30 minutes.
You can now use your blog to:
- Build an audience.
- Sell your products and services.
- Make money online.
- Start an online business.
If you encounter any challenge while following the steps above, you can contact me on +2348039185233 or leave a comment below and I will be more than willing to help you out.